Not strictly ‘next’ as I’ve not been on the Tsum Valley Trek yet, but I’ve just confirmed these as my summer plans…
Destination: Back to Peru with Val, to do the Cordillera Blanca Traverse.
Why: To trek and climb in the high, snowy mountains of the Cordillera Blanca. It’ll be non-technical winter climbing involving ropes, crampons and ice-axe, and “[Ishinka / Ishinca (5550m/18204ft) would be] a good one up from last year’s climb” Val tells me. I expect we’ll also be delivering / repairing some of LED‘s solar lights.
When: July 2015.
How: On a private trek with Val Pitkethly. Flights booked with KLM today.
What: What happens once I’m in Huaraz is up to Val! We’ll be in the the Parque Nacional Huascarán (Huascaran National Park, UNESCO World Heritage Site No 333) again, this time the section to the north of Huaraz.
Here’s Val’s outline:
- Acclimatisation in Huaraz (3050m) – probably 1 night at Lazy Dog again
- Up the Quillcaywanka valley (Quebrada Quilcayhuanca) to Pass Villion (Punta Villón / Abra Villón, 5000m)
- Into Quebrada Cayash and up to Culliacocha lakes (Laguna Cuchillacocha, 4650m) and over Cho Cho pass (Choko / Choco, 5030m).
- Up to Cojup (4250m) and over Ishinka / Ranrapalca col with optional climb of Ishinka / Ishinca (5550m/18204ft) then option of Urus (Urus Este, 5420m).
- Depending on conditions we might go over the Aquillpo pass (Akilpo pass, 4800m) before descending Quebrada Aquillpo and back to Huaraz.
- We might fit in a quick trip to the Southern Blanca again if there’s time.
Trek Itineraries & Reports:
- Mark Horrell’s August 2014 traverse – Exploring the Cordillera Blanca’s high altitude playground
- Gasping for Air on the Quilcayhuanca Trek in Huaráz, Peru
- The Hiking Life Cordillera Blanca Traverse – Stage 1 – “It’s a long way……..”, Stage 2 – The Polish Ghost, Stage 3 – Pitec to Chavin & Stage 4 – The End?
- Ramblin’ Boy’s Trekking and Climbing in the Peruvian Andes – The Santa Cruz and Ishinca Valleys
- International Mountain Guides “Gran Traverse” Cordillera Blanca
- Ari’s Base Camp > Cordillera Blanca > Southern Blanca