We have abandoned our plan to go walking in the Picos mountains in Northern Spain at the end of August / start of September.
It was already looking complicated (trains / flights / hotels / masks etc and a day/night in Bilbao.. and that’s before we got to the relative safety of the mountains) and when the UK Government reintroduced quarantine on return from Spain overnight at the weekend, that was the final nail in the coffin.
Even if the Government were to lift quarantine by the time we were due go (which is unlikely), the risk of it being re-reintroduced while we were there felt greater.
Alfonso has been amazing, and gracious as always.
Our current thinking is to do the trip next year. Hasta el Año Que Viene.
Steffi’s now working through requesting all the refunds etc. EasyJet’s cancellation email for our return from Bilbao on 08 Sept arrived today. Now we are just waiting for BA to cancel the outbound flight. I hope they don’t continue to play hardball – at present they are only offering a voucher if you don’t want to take their flights to Spain.
On my To Do List: seeing if I can get a refund for my train tickets. Unlikely.